Out-of-School Time Coordinator
MeckEd is an independent, nonpartisan nonprofit proponent of public education. We are committed to ensuring that all children in Mecklenburg County have access to an education that equips them with the knowledge, skills, and experiences necessary to lead productive, successful lives. To achieve that mission, MeckEd educates and engages parents and civic leaders while providing best in class workforce development and Out of School Time experiences for young people enrolled in Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools.
MeckEd’s Charlotte NEXT initiative is committed to ensuring that every middle school student in Mecklenburg County has access high quality Out of School Time (OST) programs.
Our goal is to increase the number and quality of Out of School Time providers serving students in the middle grades who are currently attending CMS’s most challenged schools, thereby increasing the number of middle-grade students who are engaged in meaningful enrichment experiences between the hours of 3 pm and 6 pm.
For Charlotte NEXT to achieve its ambitious mission, a dynamic and detail-oriented Coordinator is required. The Coordinator will be part of a small team responsible for driving the Charlotte NEXT Initiative’s work forward, for building and maintaining strong relationships with the community, day-to-day coordination of efforts and its many moving parts as laid out in Charlotte NEXT’s Strategic Plan. The Coordinator will report to the Director of Organizational Affairs. Long-range plans include hiring or promoting to create a Program Director who will assume responsibility for both MeckEd’s Career Pathways and Charlotte NEXT programs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support the development and implementation of plans to create focused and intensive OST work in neighborhoods.
- Working in the neighborhoods and in schools to implement emerging plans to develop deeper partnerships and build new ones that support quality OST as well as increasing access to OST for young people.
- Working with the executive team to coordinate with other related projects and coalitions (i.e. in the same field) to maintain a full understanding of the current landscape of local and regional activities, and integrating their work into workgroup processes; and
- Building and maintaining relationships with community partners.
- Data collection (updating and managing “The Locator.”) The Locator is an online tool to assist in identifying programs and their availability.
- Managing a micro-grant program (including developing an RFP, managing the selection process, informing the grantees, etc.)
- Developing and facilitating a Professional Development series for program providers;
- Working with CMS administration to leverage additional funding for high need schools;
- Coordinating efforts with building principals and local community leaders including PTA and PTO representatives.
- Coordinating, attending and keeping track of action steps at Board of Advisors and Board of Directors meetings
- Communicating the objectives of the Initiative to the community and potential partners;
- Facilitating ongoing communication between Initiative partners by hosting regular conference calls, in-person meetings, or coordinating regular email updates to ensure alignment of activity;
- Planning and managing logistics of, and attending, community events;
- Creating or managing the creation of yearly summary reports of the Initiative’s progress;
The following duties may be done in coordination with the Director of Organizational Affairs, and/ or the President and/or his designee:
- Developing communications materials as the Initiative evolves, potentially including summary documents, brochures, FAQs, and other items;
- Developing web and social media strategies;
- Compiling and maintaining a list of press clippings; and
- Creating press strategy, including drafting press releases, coordinating with media outlets in collaboration with the Director of Organizational Affairs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Success in building and maintaining relationships with senior executives;
- The presence to inspire confidence and passion in external audiences and to build effective relationships with a range of stakeholders;
- Advanced project management skills;
- Ability to thrive in a fluid, unstructured, entrepreneurial environment without formal training;
- Flexibility and the ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed;
- Commitment to collective impact concepts;
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Strong community engagement and facilitation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral);
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to learn other computer programs as needed;
- Maintain existing relationships and the ability to build relationships with, a cross-sector range of stakeholders in the local and regional area, including senior executives;
- A track record of leading, inspiring, and developing high-performance teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, education, policy, or related field
- A minimum of 3 years’ work experience including 1 or more years of proven community outreach and coordination experience;
- Experience fundraising or grant writing (optional);
- Experience in a startup environment;
- Knowledge of the youth development field;
- Familiarity with the local area and/or focus of the Initiative (e.g. Out-of-School Time);
- Bilingual (particularly Spanish) a plus.
Compensation: MeckEd offers a competitive compensation package comparable with other non-profits severing the region.
How to apply:
- A cover letter explaining why you are a fit for the position and resume will be accepted up until 5 pm, Friday, December 1, 2017. Interviews will be scheduled for the week of December 11-15, 2017.
- Only electronic applications will be accepted.
- All applications are confidential.
Send a cover letter and resume to:
Rashaan Peek, Director of Organizational Affairs
MeckEd is an Equal Opportunity Employer
No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of resumes, only selected candidates will be contacted.