View the 2012 MeckEd Teachers of Excellence
On May 16th, 40 outstanding CMS teachers were honored by the community for mastering instructional best practices and for being positive leaders in their school and professional communities. The program featured a reception, remarks from business and community leaders and a presentation of awards to honorees.
Photos courtesy of Katy Folk, Brianna Robinson, and MeckEd.
- Michael Pillsbury, 2012 honoree and teacher at Randolph IB Middle School “[I'm] overwhlemed by the attention. I think that we represent the teachers of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. It’s unfortunate we couldn’t have them all here, but there’s so many great teachers out there, and I’m glad that this event will continue in future years. I love teaching, and it’s an honor to be recognized for what I do every day and what I love to do. I don't think there's any greater thing than to be recognized for something you love to do.”
- David Phillips, community member “To me this event was just unbelievable, and it struck me listening to this and seeing all these teachers just what an asset this organization is to this community so the more we can do to support MeckEd, I think the better off we all are.”
- Deborah Britt, 2012 honoree and teacher at South Charlotte Middle School “MeckEd made 40 CMS teachers remember how special our chosen profession is and certainly reminded me that I am blessed to earn a living doing what I love to do.”
- Cheryl Richards, MeckEd board member “It was first-class and achieved the goals of raising the profession while getting the word out about MeckEd’s vital role in the community.”
- Joanna Schimizzi, 2012 honoree and teacher at Butler High School “I cannot begin to describe how meaningful last night was to me. I could start by letting you know that I was moved to tears by each and every speaker. Your words spoke volumes about your investment in education, and although they were coming from just one mouth, it moved me to hope that is how many more parents feel. There are days where I feel I am not doing enough, and I am often humbled by my own limitations. However, your words were inspiring enough to remind me that my best efforts are continuously needed and have an far-reaching impact. I shared many of your words today with my staff at Butler High School and got so many positive responses! You guys should go on tour!!”
- Reg Gabriel, community member "This is a phenomenal event...Next year is going to be an extraordinary event. I can see teachers vying to receive this level of acknowledgement from their peers. This is powerful. This is exactly what the community should be doing to support teachers."
- Roslyn Henson, 2012 honoree and teacher at Southwest Middle School "It was a wonderful event, and I wish I could thank each of you individually for making us feel special and appreciated at least for one evening."
- Lourdes Zapata, Charlotte Chamber "Blown away by efforts of MeckEd Teachers of Excellence! Already looking forward to next year’s MeckEd Teachers of Excellence Awards! [The Chamber] is happy to be a partner of MeckEd and appreciates your efforts in the community.”
- Jackie Menser, Principal at Randolph IB Middle School "[MeckEd's] teacher recognition event was one of the best I have ever attended. The setting, food, and program could not have been better. Thanks to you and everyone who helped to put this event together. It is one to be remembered!”
- Elyse Dashew, community member "We must do more to recognize great teachers as the professionals they are. MeckEd awards were a good start”
- Kelly Chopus, Goodrich "Amazing MeckEd event-Teachers of Excellence. Loving on teachers is important business!”